The North Walsham and Dilham Canal Trail

This trail explores some of the most accessible and interesting parts of the North Walsham and Dilham Canal. The canal was built in 1825 to allow wherries to transport offal from Wayford up to Antingham Bone Mills, alongside other cargo such as manure, grain and coal. It includes six locks to raise the level by 18 metres over its 13.2 km length.

The trail begins at Ebridge Mill, whose surroundings have been recently restored by the Canal Trust. It continues on to Briggate and Honing Locks before ending the day with a choice of a canoe trip along the River Ant, or a visit to the Museum of the Broads to learn about the history of the Norfolk wherries.

You will find a detailed history of the canal here

There is a history of Ebridge Mill here and Briggate Mill here.

For information on day boats and canoe hire, visit Banks Boats here

The Museum of the Broads web site is here. Their teaching resources for children can be found here.

FREE Walsham & Dilham Canal Trail

Each trail comes in two versions. The print version is optimised for A4 printing or downloading to tablets. Download the mobile version if using a smart phone.